Monday, August 17, 2009

Kaminey!

What a name for the first post of a new blog! As you may have already guessed, this is going to my movie review/preview/whatever blog. Yet another blog! Someday I am going to be rich by selling my blog network! Then again, AOL is sinking and I shouldn't keep my hopes up!

Anyways, back to our topic.

I read rave reviews of Kaminey, and a few of them insinuating that the movie is nothing special and reviews have been paid for. I decided to go and watch the movie.

This was my first movie at Rex in Brigade Road. 170 Rs is a bit too much if you ask me. Not remotely good as PVR, Innovative, or Inox.

Movie is the tale of two brothers. One good, one bad. The bread and butter of bollywood. But the treatment is what makes this movie special. For once, we don't get to see any opulent shit. No fancy bikes, no prancing around in Paris, and more importantly, no goody two-shoes heroine. What the movie has instead is splendid narration, vibrant characters, lot of goofiness, and witty dialogues.

There is no doubt that this is inspired by the Guy Ritchie classic, "Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels." Inspired as in really inspired and not ripped of completely like most inspired Bollywood movies. The similarity starts and ends with the basic narration, goofiness, and similar events.

Shahid Kapoor has performed really well as Guddu and Charlie, the twin brothers. He has showcased the Charlie's lisp and Guddu's stammer to perfection. I was especially impressed with his stammer and gets the most convincing stammerer award from a stammerer himself! Priyanka Chopra was brilliant as the street smart and loud girl friend of Guddu. Her fiery marathi tirade and boldness is convincing.

The movie really shines due to the excellent supporting characters. The guy who played Mr. Maharashtra was awesome and so was Tashi, the big boss. I do feel that the Bengali Brothers should have been given a little more screentime.

Many people say the climax is ludicrous. I didn't think it was ludicrous while watching the movie. Director had me convinced about the ending. All 'kamineys' getting what they deserve. After all, movies are about make belief. It would be extremely hypocritical of Bollywood to say that the movie is unrealistic. Case in point: I would be fucking mad to make a list!

Verdict?

A solid movie. Vishal Bharadwaj has done a wonderful job. This is no Omkara or Blood Brothers, still its awesome in its own right. Personally, its been long time since a Bollywood movie appealed to me. I would rate it 8/10. Go watch it, if you haven't. No one has rigged the reviews!

P.S: Mr Bharadwaj? You know my bank account number right?
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know you started a movie blog. Since, you said, I'll have to see it then!! ;)

    ReplyDelete